Tulips, delphiniums and the like: Domestic garden plants are very poisonous

Tulips, delphiniums and the like: Domestic garden plants are very poisonous


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Health risk: Many domestic garden plants are poisonous
Many plants that grow in home gardens are poisonous. Some of them can even be fatal if swallowed. But above all, many of the plants are painful when you come into contact with them.

Poisonous plants in home gardens
Only a few days ago, the case of a 79-year-old man from Heidenheim showed that not only exotic, but also domestic plants can be life-threatening. He had poisoned himself with cucurbitacin from eating zucchini from his garden and then died. The Bavarian State Office for Health and Food Safety had pointed out that this year the bitter drought apparently means that intestinal-damaging bitter substances in zucchini and pumpkins from private cultivation are forming. However, many more potentially harmful plants grow in domestic gardens.

Even flower water can be poisonous
As the dpa news agency reports, many popular garden plants are toxic to humans and pets. For example, skin contact with tulips can cause an itchy rash with reddening and swelling in the gardener's home. Experts therefore recommend wearing gloves. If parts of the growth are swallowed, nausea and vomiting, abdominal pain, possibly a drop in body temperature, shock or apathy may occur. With very large quantities there is a risk of respiratory arrest. The same applies to other popular flowers. The information center against poisoning in Bonn had advised caution with daffodils and tulips. According to the information, even the flower water of daffodils is toxic.

Health problems if swallowed
Skin irritation can also be caused by an oil from the hedge plant thuja. If you touch the plant, you should wash your hands. According to the Bonn Poison Center, nausea and diarrhea may occur if swallowed, liver and kidney damage and convulsions in rare cases. Other very poisonous plants are yew trees, laburnum, delphiniums, blue and yellow monkshood and the angel's trumpet. And some poisonous berries also take you to the hospital, pharmacists recently warned. For example, three deadly cherries can be fatal to children.

What to do in case of poisoning
Typical signs of poisoning are vomiting and diarrhea. In addition, some plants also cause drowsiness and cramps. Another indication of poisoning can be dilated pupils. If, for example, delphinium is swallowed, numbness in the tongue, hands and toes, sweating, colic and respiratory paralysis can develop. Other possible warning signs of poisoning include gagging irritation, bright red lips and circulatory failure. In the event of suspicion, the local poison control center should be called, where an expert can give advice on what to do with which plant. An overview of symptoms and instructions can also be found at "gizbonn.de". As a first treatment, those affected should best drink still water to dilute the poison.

Since coal tablets bind the poison, there should always be some in the medicine cabinet. Milk is taboo because it can accelerate the absorption of the harmful substance by the intestine. If symptoms such as nausea or drowsiness appear, the emergency doctor should be called. Ideally, parts of the swallowed plant should be taken to the clinic so that the doctors know where the poisoning comes from.

Even skin contact can cause discomfort
But not only the possible poisoning from swallowing plant parts is a problem. Even normal gardening operations can cause complaints. In addition to daffodils, hyacinths and primroses, many members of the daisy family such as arnica, mugwort and calendula also cause skin irritation, as the German Skin and Allergy Aid (DHA) explained. Contact with meadow rue, bergamot, celery and parsley can be particularly painful. The substances contained therein called furocoumarins act when exposed to the sun. This can cause severe redness and painful blisters on the skin. Affected people should wash the skin under running, cold water. Cooling envelopes can relieve itching.

Dermatologists or allergists can use a test to confirm irritability and treat it. Inflammation and itching are then usually treated with ointments or creams with glucocorticoids or antihistamines. However, according to the DHA, the acute symptoms subside within a few days even without treatment if you stay away from the plants. (ad)

Author and source information



Video: 50+ Perfectly Pet-Safe Houseplants


Comments:

  1. Silvester

    I think you are not right. I'm sure. I can prove it. Write in PM.

  2. Maeadam

    very good message

  3. Skyelar

    I confirm. I join told all above. Let's discuss this question. Here or in PM.

  4. Salar

    Completely

  5. Mikalkree

    I'm sorry, but, in my opinion, they were wrong. I am able to prove it.



Write a message