Coca-Cola milk: healthier than conventional milk?

Coca-Cola milk: healthier than conventional milk?



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Coca Cola plans to sell "healthy milk" in the future
02.12.2014

The beverage manufacturer Coca Cola is not exactly known worldwide for promoting health through its products. However, the group has recently started using lifestyle products and is now participating in “Fairlife”, a milk that is said to be healthier and more digestible than conventional products. Critics see it differently.

Beverage manufacturer relies on lifestyle products Coca Cola is usually associated with very sweet drinks by most people. It has long been denounced that their products contain too much sugar or sweeteners. The high consumption of beverages with a high sugar content increases the risk of obesity or obesity or diabetes. Recently, however, the beverage manufacturer has also switched to lifestyle products and, starting in December, will be offering “Fairlife” in the USA, milk that is lactose-free, contains 50 percent less sugar and 30 percent more calcium. Critics don't see that the product should be healthier and more digestible than conventional milk.

Milk consumption in the USA declined significantly As the specialist magazine "Dairy Today" reports, half of the adult Americans do not drink milk. According to the report, sales have decreased by eight percent in the past ten years. In the past, milk was considered a healthy natural product both in the USA and in many other countries, which strengthens bones and teeth, for example, through the calcium it contains, and can prevent osteoporosis. In recent years, however, studies have appeared that indicate that milk's reputation may be wrong. In addition, many people are diagnosed with lactose intolerance (lactose intolerance). Affected persons complain of abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea or flatulence after eating dairy products.

Alternatives for lactose intolerance People who suffer from lactose intolerance mostly use lactose-free milk. In addition to soy milk, alternatives are also almond, coconut or cereal milk. Especially when you consider that "Fairlife" is said to be twice as expensive as conventional milk, there are other options available to those affected. As the "Welt" reports, Bernhard Watzl from the Max Rubner Institute, the federal research institute for nutrition and food in Karlsruhe, would not buy "Fairlife". If you eat a healthy and varied diet, you don't need optimized foods. There are no serious arguments against the consumption of milk. He believes that “milk bashing” has no scientific basis.

Nothing bad about milk According to the report, Isabelle Keller from the German Nutrition Society (DGE) also can't find anything bad about conventional milk. It contains relatively few calories, supplies important nutrients such as calcium or iodine and contains high-quality proteins and vitamins B2, B6 and B12. According to the nutrition researcher Walzl, milk consumption does not lead to cardiovascular diseases, as is sometimes claimed, but rather reduces the risk of high blood pressure and diabetes. According to him, there is also no evidence that high milk consumption promotes cancer, but milk could probably even protect against colon cancer and breast cancer.

No advantages over conventional milk According to the “Welt”, milk sugar in early childhood is, among other things, important for brain maturation and growth. Every child can tolerate milk at this age. In adulthood, milk is not used for disease prevention. Adult milk drinkers break the bones just as often and have osteoporosis as often as milk abstainers. It also says that 75 percent of all adults worldwide cannot digest milk sugar and that of the remaining 25 percent almost all ancestors from Europe have it. In this country, 90 percent of people are said to still tolerate milk very well. As the "Welt" concludes, "Fairlife" is certainly suitable for lactose-intolerant people. However, they would also tolerate yogurt or cheese, which is much lower in lactose. But the new "super milk" offers no advantages over conventional milk. (ad)

Image: Timo Klostermeier / pixelio.de

Author and source information



Video: Experiment: Coca Cola VS Mentos